President’s Speech – Guru Jayanthi 2021
Sree Narayana Mission (Singapore) Trustees, Executive Committee and Members
Sponsors, donors, volunteers, and supporters of the Mission
Ladies and Gentlemen.
On behalf of all of you, I would like to express special thanks to Associate Professor Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim, Member of Parliament for Nee Soon GRC, Minister of State, Ministry of Home Affairs & Ministry of National Development, for his congratulatory message this year. We are deeply thankful for his unstinting support with SNM over the years.
1. It is my pleasure to welcome you to Sree Narayana Mission (Singapore)’s second virtual Guru Jayanthi celebrations today.
2. This year, we mark Sree Narayana Guru’s 167th Birth Anniversary.
Celebrating Guru’s 167th Birth Anniversary
3. It has been almost two years since COVID-19 hit our shores. Due to this pandemic, many changes have been made to accommodate a new normal.
4. Last year, we successful held our first Guru Jayanthi celebrations virtually. Our performances, discourse sessions and Guru Pooja was held through virtual means including the Guest-of-Honour’s message.
5. The only difference was that we were not able to hold our annual “Anadanam” lunch. With technology, we were able to continue our Guru Jayanthi celebrations despite the challenges of COVID-19.
6. This year, we continue to battle the virus. Like last year, we have taken to the virtual platforms to celebrate Guru’s 167th birth anniversary. We must continue to embrace technology, to help us bridge the physical limitations brought upon us by COVID-19.
SNM Awarded Second Nursing Home
7. This year, we crossed a special milestone when MOH awarded SNM the license to operate a second nursing home in Yishun Ave 6.
8. This comes after more than 40 years since we first admitted our first two residents in our first nursing home. The nursing home is slated to complete in 2025 and will accommodate up to 300 beds. We hope to continue serving the community with our second nursing home and we invite you to join us as volunteers and make a difference for the vulnerable in the community.
9. A big thank you to the management team that put in the successful bid for the second nursing home.
Celebrating Our Heroes
10. I am also happy to share that this year, 78 staff were awarded the Hero Award (COVID-19) at the Singapore Health Quality Service Award, which was held virtually.
11. I want to take this opportunity to acknowledge all those on the frontline and in essential services who keep us safe, and who keep the nation moving. Thank you for your dedication and contribution
Support from the Community
12. We have also received an outpouring of support from individuals to organisations, who have stepped forward to help the vulnerable in our society.
13. It is heartening to see how the community continues to support us – and we thank you for your patience and understanding as we work towards our new normal.
14. Let me share with you all a teaching from Sree Narayana Guru
15. I would like to thank the Cultural Sub-Committee, SNM management and staff for planning and executing this year’s programme under these exceptional circumstances.
16. Ladies and Gentlemen, please enjoy the cultural show, and thank you for your unwavering support!